Hey peeps. As you know, I took some time off from blogging when I went to San Francisco. It just so happened that after the first two days of photographing everything from food to footwear (force o' habit) and brainstorming posts, I didn't really miss blogging. When I came home, my computer was broken, which conveniently extended my blogcation. Well, my computer is back in action, and I'm not really sure what I want to do with the blog. I was excited to do a round-up post on SF, but it just hung over my head like not-fun WORK to be done. I'm quite disillusioned with the health/fitness blog world at the moment; 90% of the pages out there are barely distinguishable, and many of the rest (the big blogs, I guess) are locked in some sort of clique or healthy-off. It bums me out. Exercise and diet are two of my interests at present, but they obviously aren't all that I'm about. That said, I'm not sure what my goals are here. I do know that I love to write, it makes me feel good and there is little more joy in anythang than the accomplishment of hitting PUBLISH and getting replies to the words I put out in the world. The past few weeks, I've avoided my blog and have dreaded posting. Prior to that, I felt a sense of obligation to my blog: MUST POST EVERY DAY. EACH POST MUST BE EPIC. So I don't know where that leaves me now. I want to keep writing, but I'm not sure how.
I would appreciate any feedback that you may offer, friends.
i think you should do what makes YOU happy! update when you have time :)
ReplyDeletei'll be glad whenever i get to read your posts!
Okay, girl. We've got to talk.
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, I have gone through phases (even recently) of feeling the same way. I love writing so much, but I don't want to feel pressure about it. I don't want to feel pressure about what to write, when to write or how to write. I just want to write. It has even crossed my mind to start a second blog (in addition to CSM) where I can just write and photograph whatever the h I want.
I'm still considering that...but honestly I'm really beginning to think - man, I CAN write about whatever I want. It's my blog! When I first started CSM my intention was for it to be about food and exercise only. But even just since then I have evolved as a person, and there are so many things I'm interested in in addition to that now. I don't know how readers will take it if I write about photography, style etc, but if I'm not being true to what I want to do, nobody is going to want to read anyway.
Also, I totally get your disillusionment with fitness/health blogs. I have nothing to add because you said exactly how I feel.
Anyway, my advice to you is to keep blogging when you want..about what you want. This isn't a job, and it shouldn't feel like work. If you want to post twice a week then post twice a week. And as far as content, I'd love to hear what else you have to write about besides food/fitness. Seriously, I'm so curious! I read your blog because you're hilarious and I always leave with a smile on my face more than anything:)
Whew! Sorry about the novel, but this just really strikes a cord with me. Hope you start feeling some direction soon:) Oh, and I guess I should say that if you decide continuing GF is not what you want right now I'd fully support that too. But it would be a sad day:(
Giddy uo Candice! The only thing I have to add Ms Feastah is that yer pick says everything that your post says. If you post ocasionally is there anyway to alert readers when there is a new entry?
ReplyDeleteWhoops, make that 'Giddy UP Candice."
ReplyDeleteSorry you are feeling this way. Blogging can certainly be stressful if we let it be. I think if this is an outlet for you that you enjoy, you should keep it up. As often as you like. No pressure to post all the time, though.
ReplyDeleteI sometimes feel the same frustrations though. Almost like a "what's the point" feeling, but then I remember I do mostly enjoy it and thats what matters.
Rhea, I love all your posts, regardless of subject. I am interested in health, and food, and exerciese, and would love to hear more on YOUR thoughts about it in YOUR life. I also just love connecting with other people on the interwebs - I like reading your musings and think you should do whatever you want. Don't be uncomfortable though; it's not worth it.
ReplyDelete♥
I just stumbled on your blog, and let me say that I love it! I click around a lot on blogs when I'm bored, and I find very few that I like (why do I keep looking? I have no idea.). But you have a great sense of humour and it really comes through...I would be that if you opened yourself up to talk about whatever you wanted on the blog (like Candice talks about...whose blog I also love!), that voice would shine through even more. Healthy living is about so much more than oatmeal, greek yoghurt and running. Write about life, the universe and everything. People will listen if you're writing what you feel...and if they don't, well, they just don't know a good blog when they see it :-)
ReplyDeleteI am also quite disillusioned with the blog world at the moment, but for some reason I still keep reading because of the few blogs out there that really do it right. I encourage you to continue to make your voice heard among the many, and I don't think every post needs to be epic to do so.