Those of you who have the brain capacity to remember only 5 exciting events may remember my coconut butter fiasco at the end of September. In case you missed it: I spent $13 on a jar of coconut butter, tried to liquefy it more by heating it in the microwave and caused it to seize, which resulted in a coconut crumble/brick. Well, I finally rolled up my sleeves and scraped that mother out of the jar.
It took a long while. The coconut puck at the bottom was especially difficult to remove and I envisioned my hand getting stuck in the cocojar forever. This mental picture entertained me for quite some time (See: lovechild between Buster Bluth and DJ Tanner's babysitting charge who gets his head stuck in the railing. Yes, that's what the inside of my brain looks like).
There was a scorched section at the bottom of the coconut puck, which I tried to break off, but let's just say that this jar has an accord of "(very, very) toasted coconut".
I dumped the contents of the cocojar into my new* food processor, added a tablespoon or so of coconut oil to thin it out, and gave it a whirl. It crumbled. It clumbed. It balled and clunked around! And then? it got creamy and dreamy. It sort of a weird color on account of the scorching, but it tastes great and it spreads!
And that's the story of how I salvaged the $13 (never again) jar of coconut butter.
*Oh yeah. Back in March, my sad food processor met its maker (who goes by the name of "Lord God Hamilton Beach", I think) after an unfortunate run in with some veggie burger batter. Jake very kindly gifted me his Cuisinart food processor, which is shiny and built like a brick shithouse.
I wish I had a food processor! This is a creative way to salvage. I do not blame you at all with your thoughts on the $13. But sometimes it's fun to treat yourself!
ReplyDelete