Sunday, July 18, 2010

Chistmas in July

Hi guys,

Posting on the fly tonight- "school nights" mean racing against the clock!  I just wanted to share with you the thoughtful and AMAZING birthday gifts my mom brought for me...

NEW TOYS!

Cast iron grill pan
I used this to make barbecue chicken tonight!  Full report to come.
[Err... just realized I forgot to take a picture.  Tomorrow!]


Mandoline
I also used this torture device tiny appliance tonight- shredded some carrots for this week's salads.  Seriously, though, isn't it kinda scary looking?


Retro crock pot
Just like the one I grew up with.  Now I can make Angela's maple baked beans!




Chocolate Hazelnut Butter
By the master.


Misto olive oil sprayer
This is a really cool thing, it is basically homemade, healthy Pam.  You load up the special gadget with olive oil or any other spray topping (vinegar, citrus juice, etc), pump the cap a few times and spray away!  I have been lusting after this ever since I saw The Fitnessista's.


Plus some unpictured measuring spoons!  Because mine keep jumping down the sink when the garbage disposal is on.  Grrr.

This afternoon, Mom, Jake and I walked around downtown.  We ended up at Purple Cactus for eats.  Jake got a giant salad with chicken, Mama picked the chicken burrito, and I had the best of both worlds: a mini shrimp burrito with a salad.  I love that offering, especially because the burritos at PC are massive, so the mini is just perfect.

A great start to my 24th year!

Question of the Day: What's your favorite kitchen tool?  My mom knows my love for all things culinary and she did a great job getting me such sweet gifts.  I'm so excited to use them all!

2 comments:

  1. Happy late Birthday!

    You did get some amazing gifts - how wonderful!

    I've been wanting a mandolin forever...I can't wait to see what else you're going to do with it! And that crock pot is awesome. I love vintage anything...and that totally fits the bill.

    My favorite kitchen tool would have to be my blender simply because I couldn't live without it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks girl! My birthday is actually Wednesday, but my momma was in town so we celebrated early :D
    The verdict is still out on the mandoline, but only because I am terribly, terribly afraid of it. Once I got over the mental picture of me stirring smoothies with my feet after chopping off my hands, I used the mandoline to prep some carrots. It did a bang-up job! I want to do a post solely dedicated to all the different blades and cutting styles.
    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete