Happy CSA Day!
Every Saturday, I walk downtown to pick up my halfshare box from Stillman's Farm. I always get a bix box of fruits and veggies and a newsletter, which I try to ignore until I get home, since it contains spoilers for the big reveal...
It's like Christmas every Saturday.
The goods:
Clockwise from upper right: corn, peas, zucchini, blueberries, summer squash, lettuce, fennel, cucumbers (picking and ~diva~), tomato, string beans, forono beets, buried fennel and arugula.
Stillman's website contains a blog and a great explanation of how a CSA works.
Some CSA are shares of whatever the farm produces; our CSA is subscription based which means we pack your box based on not only what we are harvesting but as a dollar value. Other benefits of our CSA program include weekly letters once the season begins, invitations to farm events as well as an open invitation to visit the farm to walk, browse, and even pick!
You pay at the beginning of the year and reap the benefits all during the growing season. Paying ahead of time is a gamble (for instance, if the season is rainy), but I consider it an investment in the farming community. It works out to about $20 a week, which sounds like a lot, but remember that it's all local and organic food! Plus, you get to meet the farmer and their family every week.
I love that part.
I clean the veggies when I get home and prepare them for the week.
As for the trimmings and scraps?
Yeah, Mr. Waffles eats like a king.
That's all for now. Off to read on the couch and slurp on the juice I just made.
Love,
Scary Blueberry Feaster
No comments:
Post a Comment