Friday, July 23, 2010

Visions of sugar

Hi guys!


Happy Friday!  I had a busy day spent moving into our new office.  I'm happy to report that after nearly an entire afternoon filled with blood, sweat and tears, I assembled my Ikea file cabinet.  Great success!


I played it light at the gym today, since there was a lot of lifting and general physical activity precipitated by the move.

  • Pull ups (6 reps w 25 lbs assistance followed by 6 reps w 30 lbs assistance)
  • Stiff-legged deadlifts, DBs (10 x 3 x 25)
  • Calf raise (15 x 2 x 150)
  • Bicep curl on machine (10 x 2 x 30)
  • Hanging reverse crunch (I actually did this from a dip position, 15 x 2)
  • Supermans (15 x 3)
  • Inchworm exercise (10 x 3)
Would it be helpful or at all interesting if I provided links for each exercise?  It would take a bit of extra work, but I know that I like it when other people do this.  Let me know if you have a preference!

After the weights, I opted for a quick, hilly run.  I tried out the 9 holes program on one of the treadmills and really enjoyed it!  I'm not really sure what the deal was with the 9 holes setting, but it was just a really hilly and varied 1 mile run.  I was feeling intimidated by the new program and didn't want to have to stop and set up a new one, so I tried it out on level 1.  Next time, I'll go for a higher level fa sho.


There were many hurdles to be overcome during my evening commute, but that is neither here nor there (at least not on this blog).  I did, however, get caught in quiet the torrential downpour- twas a sad day for my paper grocery bag.  Got home, showered and whipped this up.


2 ho-made pickles; a cute lil' wedge of smoked maple gouda; baked CSA potato french fries (courtesy of the mandolin!) with olive oil, smoked salt and smoked paprika (this was approximately 1/3 of the batch- the other 2/3 were already in my belly at photo time); a sad, flavorless "charbroiled" Stop 'n' Shop soyburger with a slice of tomato, some baby spinach, whole grain mustard and BBQ sauce on a piece of honey whole wheat toast.

I got snacky afterward with the remains of my birthday treats: 1/2 of a Lake Champlain chocolate bar, a few pieces of Panda licorice (apparently there are people who don't enjoy black licorice.  SHOW YOURSELVES!) and the rest of my mango coconut sorbet.  This combination was spot-hitting, I'll admit, but I was dreaming of these:


The infamous birthday cupcakes from Sweet.



Lil' Pinky there was Pink Lemonade, the vessel for my birthday candle.  He did his job honorably.


Question of the Day: Have you ever used a program or special setting on workout equipment?  I usually just roll with the manual option, but it was kind of fun to enjoy hands-free changes during my little run today.  Completing the random, unexpected hills was sort of like a game.  I've heard that some fancypants gyms have screens on their treadmills and bikes that provide a virtual reality experience: there are video games that simulate riding a bike on a mountain or chasing a dragon.  I would love to try that!


P.S.  I love blogging.  It makes me feel happy and calm.

1 comment:

  1. I used to live mere blocks from Sweet when I went to BU but I have to say, on the record, I think the best cupcakes in Boston (well Sommerville, actually) are at Kick Ass Cupcakes. Have you been? INSANE.

    ReplyDelete