I'm lucky to live in an apartment with a lot of windows. I'm currently sitting in my room with the windows open, cooling off and listening to the rain. Bliss! Oh yeah, that piece of mint dark chocolate I just
I started my day with another huge yogurt bowl. When I first started working out this winter, I didn't eat breakfast. I let that one slip during a session with my trainer, Monika, and she looked at me like I had two heads. "No breakfast?" she stammered. "Twenty push ups, go!"
Just kidding. She made me do thirty.
Anybicep, Monika explained that a solid breakfast works as a kick-start to your day... and your metabolism. Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper. The extra few minutes it takes to whip up a bowl of oatmeal or yogurt really is worth it when you're staring down a bag of M&M's at 10:00 AM.
Lunch
One serving of Food Should Taste Good lime chips (which were very meh- salty sandpaper); layered salad of CSA lettuce, cherry tomatoes, smoked turkey breast, feta and green beans; cute 1 oz wedge of local ched; carrot sticks with hummus.
Yeah, old yogurt for brains over here forgot that the hummus has been opened since last month. After one nasty bite, I quarantined the hummus in the corner and nibbled only the surrounding carrots.
Snacks
Green party guests: apple and Ginger Snap Larabar.
Today was one of those days that just flew by. I rushed around and around the city before arriving home, 13 hours later, facing some roommate drama. OF THE MOUSE VARIETY. You see, our humble abode has unknowingly and very, very unwillingly become host to our very own Stuart Little. He is small, brown, and highly aggressive. The other night, Roommate L and I were discussing his whereabouts when he strolled right past me! After many emails back and forth, we decided to set out Havahart-style traps, which will grab the little bugger(s) and house them as humanely as possible until we can release them into the wild. We are going to put a tiny PB sammich in the trap, so if I don't update for a couple of days, it's because I'm stuck in the trap eating a snack.
Arts and Crafts master that I am, I contributed to the mouse baiting party with our very own PSA-style poster. Well, more of a doctrine, really.
Internet, please don't judge me, new food and health blogger that I am, for having a mouse. It could happen to anyone! Plus, we always have delicious food afoot. Who could blame Stuart?
I also started a new food project. As my coworkers will tell you, I enjoy growing things. Particularly in water. Last summer I had Sea Monkeys, and I ALWAYS have plants. It was only a matter of time until I made homemade pickles a reality. I used Averie's post and Real Simple's recipe as guides.
We don't have any dill, but I'm hoping to pick some up from the farmer's market tomorrow to throw in the mix. Stay tuned for Pickles, Part II tomorrow.
Finally, I have a new goal and announcement: today I signed up for a 4 mile race! This will be my second race and longest distance to date. It's a month from today and I absolutely can't wait. It is a challenging, hilly course, but I'm so excited to run in my (sort of) hometown! Plus, it's the kick-off event to a big Italian festival. Do you think there will be pizza at the water stations?
See ya tomorrow!
thank you for all your great commments you always leave me, just wanted to say that first :)
ReplyDelete2nd...the pickles, YAY!!!! Keep me posted on how you like them. I love your long slices. I did circles but I am diggin the lengthwise :)
Thanks Averie!! I can tell that you put a lot of work and heart into your posts and you are one of the people who inspired me to finally start blogging.
ReplyDeleteMy roommate also did a batch of pickles, which I will post tomorrow, and hers are round. They're very cute! All we need now is a way to cut them into wavy chip slices...