Saturday, July 17, 2010

CSA Saturday

Hey party people!

So, my trip to visit my family didn't pan out.  Instead, my mom and aunt are driving out to see me tomorrow!  Part of the reason we decided to do this was because my mom told me I would be receiving some gifts that would be difficult to carry on the train.  I wonder what they could be?  The suspense is killing me!

I had a very restful, relaxing day spent recouping in bed and taking some quiet strolls.  Jake and I went to JP Licks in the afternoon and I savored a cup of coffee Oreo ice cream, one of my favorites.  Interesting facts: before I started "dieting", I never enjoyed chocolate.  Now, I really like it!  Go figure...

I also picked up my weekly CSA box.  I love the surprises every week!


Red leaf lettuce, arugula, fennel, lil' apples, apricots, peaches, blueberries, [secret item to be revealed below], tomatoes, corn, potatoes!, green beans, zukes, summer squash and cukes.

Weird tidbit: I always think of vegetables as masculine and fruits as feminine.

The boys:


Rufflemania!


The girls:


I used my extra Stillman's bucks to buy this beautiful box of apricots.  I can't wait to eat them for breakfast with ricotta (or yogurt), lavender honey, granola and cinnamon!  They would be delicious sauteed, too.


I haven't had a fresh apricot since I was a child!

Size matters.


(Featuring my Hatch Show Print poster from Nashville and my very short fingeynails.)

I also picked up an exciting new veg.

Which is which?


It's a lemon cucumber!  I've never had one.  I'm excited to enjoy it in a salad tonight!  Jake and I are going to combine our veggie forces to make a stirfry and/or salad of epic proportions.

I threw together a beastly CSA salad for lunch.


Featuring red leaf lettuce, cukes, homemade pickles!!!, quinoa salad, tomatoes, sunflower seeds, feta and balsamic.

Question of the Day: What was the last new food you tried?  I love trying new things, and expanding my diet to include more fruits, veggies and other healthier options has afforded me that opportunity.  Just this year, I've tried kale, brussels sprouts, kumquats, quinoa, coconut oil and butter, sunflower seed butter, almond butter, sprouted grain bread, oat bran, sprouted wheatberries, chia seeds and flax seeds for the first time.  It's funny, as children, so many tastes are new to us, but as adults, we are rarely surprised by a new food find.  I can't wait to try my lemon cucumber!

No comments:

Post a Comment