Monday, July 19, 2010

I am a Brownie

Hi guys!

How was your Monday?  Mine was purty good- sometimes it feels good to get back into the swing of things.  I went to work, of course!, and hit up the gym for strength and cardio after taking a few days off to recover from my little bug.  I'm glad I gave myself the time off, because I was back and ready for action tonight!

I'm also glad I took my mini gym vacation because it shows that I'm getting more comfortable with my workout routine.  When I first started going to the gym and seeing results, I was absolutely petrified that it would all go away.  I thought that if I skipped a day or did a lighter workout, I was would never get back into the routing, or, more dramatically, that I was failing.  Now that I understand my body better and have confidence in my commitment to the endorphins getting my sweat on, I've calmed down a bit.  Plus, I find that when I just feel like going home and crashing, I'm able to come back even harder the next time I swing by the gym.  It's made for a much more relaxed Rhea.

On to the sesh!
  • Dumbbell (DB) bench press, 8 x 3 x 20*
  • Standing DB row with stationary squat, 8 x 3  x 20
  • DB deadlift, 8 x 3 x 25
  • DB lat raise, 8 x 3 x 12.5
  • Tricep pulldown, 10 x 2 x 25
  • Calf raise 15 x 2 x 140
  • Slow and hard bicycle crunches 20 x 3
*My friend Nick informed me that I was recording this wrong before.  When I write 8 x 3 x 20, it means that I did 3 sets of 8 repetitions each holding a 20 lb. weight in each hand.  I had previously written this same exercise as 8 x 3 x 40, thinking that I notated the total weight lifted.  Needless to say, Nick was pretty impressed by my strength, haha! ;) From now on, my notes indicate repetitions x sets x weight of each DB (for a DB exercise) or simply weight lifted on a machine.

Followed by a relatively brief treadmill run.  Let's hear it for negative splits!

Mile 0.00 - 0.75, 6.0 mph
Mile 0.75 - 1.50, 6.5 mph
Mile 1.50 - 2.25, 7.0 mph
Mile 2.25 - 2.50, 7.5 mph
Time taken: 22:58

I arrived home very hungry and noshed on a decidedly brown dinner.

2 eggs over easy + 2 spinach and feta chicken sausages.  I can't believe I never used to eat eggs!  So easy and comforting, not to mention nutritious.  My little proteiney friends.


Plus Sweet Potato Food Should Taste Good chips sprinkled with cinnamon sugar, which tasted like fried dough!  Since I wasn't getting any green food (as Averie would say), I drank a science project, or the juice of 2 carrots plus 1 apple and a packet of Macro Greens...


Before...


During...


After (blurry because I was trembling with fear)...


All together, now!


I promise, it tasted much better than it looked.

I am very embarrassed to admit that I have already burnt my new grill pan.  Methinks I left the chicken and BBQ sauce in too long and some heavy duty caramelization (read: charring) went on.  It's currently simmering some soap soup on the stove.


Steamy.  I've already let it soak with a dryer sheet overnight, and I've scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed, but to no avail.  Any ideas for other things I could try?

Finally, a very fine highlight to my day- my package of bars and goodies I won from Princess Melinh came today!  Yes, I realize that I am having some issues with blurriness today, but in this case, I was quivering with excitement!  I love mail.


She sent me Larabars (already ate the peanut one in two bites), a Clifbar, some green tea that I shall try in the morning, and I beautiful card will take prime card real-estate on my breakfast table, right next to my Mom's.  Thank you, Melinh!  

Question of the Day: What was the last meal you ate that really hit the spot?  Tonight's dinner was just perfect for me.  I have had an out of character lack of appetite the last few days because of my little sickness, but I guess it's back, since I was HANGRY after the gym.  I am now feeling very content and ready to tackle the rest of my "chores" before reading the night away.

I just heard the night's first peal of thunder.  I love a good storm, especially when I am cozied up inside with a book or an NPR podcast.

See you tomorrow morning for a fun Tunesday jam!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you got the package!! Enjoy everything :)

    ReplyDelete