Thursday, July 8, 2010

Sweaty Beast

Update: it's still hot.

See y'all tomorrow!











I keed, I keed.  Smiley

My big news?  I stopped in Brattle Book Shop, a used bookstore near my work, and scored some deals!  Behold:





Childhood faves.
Plus a new (to me) one:


[sourcery here, here, here and here]

I've seen the movie, of course, but have yet to read the book.  Someone was reading it next to me on the train last week, and it took me a few pages to realize I was totally snooping over they shoulder.  Sneaky, sneaky!  Anypeek, the nerdlette in me is excited for the copy I picked up, since it includes several articles commenting on the cultural implications and ramifications of the modern fairy tale that is the Wiz.

I decided that I just wasn't feeling the gym path today, so I decided to cut out and sneak home to sit in my yard, sunbathe and read my new books. 
It didn't take long for me to feel restless-- I can only last a few minutes in the sun before I overheat and shut down.  So what did I do?  Retreated back inside for a hot, sweaty, mini workout!

It's true that I didn't feel like going to the gym, but my body really seemed to miss my daily sweat endorphin sesh.  I decided to try one of Zuzanna's workouts after nervously side-eyeing them for some time.  I love me a challenge, and Zuzanna seems so friendly, happy and energetic (also: hot, healthy and strong) that I figured I'd give one of her mega-challenging routines a try.  I loaded up a free online interval timer (Zuzanna recommends the GymBoss) and pressed play to start one of her recent workouts.

After 1/3 of the workout, I was a dripping, sweaty Jello-Rhea mess.  I knew I was in trouble when my quads started quivering during the warm up.  Here's what I managed:

  • 4 minutes of Backward Lunge Jump Ups (11 right, 12 left; 12 r, 13 l; 12 r, 11 l; 12 r, 10 l)
  • 10 Reptile Push Ups
  • 13 Jump Squats (one forward, two back)
  • 30 Side Crunches (15 right, 15 left)
Yeah... so.  I didn't set any records against Zuzanna or her readers, but I'm proud of myself for taking on a new challenge during what I thought would be an "off" afternoon.  Plus, I'm familiar with the moves, can add them into my rotation, and set a new record for each one Smiley (the first try counts as a record, right?).

The bad news is: my knees are bothering me.  I'm guilty of Superwoman Syndrome, especially when I'm excited about a new routine, and today was an example of that.  My knees were feeling stiff today, likely due to my increased Leg Press weight the past couple of weeks, and I should have rested them.  Oh well, live and learn (and cross my fingers that my knees don't poop out on me mid-treadmilling).  Internet: NEVER DO WHAT I DID.

Time to lay in bed, read some books and rest my poor, mistreated knees.


I love you, knees.  Please don't quit me. Smiley
Love,
Rhea

No comments:

Post a Comment