Friday, July 30, 2010

Flash! in the pan

Hellllllooooooooooo out there!  And Happy Friday to you.  I have a shortcut meal idea to share with you before I go make another (sammiches tonight).



Breakfast for Dinna
Growing up, breakfast for dinner was the ultimate treat.  My mom made such childhood delicacies as french toast, blueberry pancakes and, my favorite, home fries. So comforting.  These days, breakfast for dinner feels like more of a cop out (read: cereal).  Not so with this meal!

That would be a plate of breakfasty goodness in the form of home fries, scrambled eggs, leftover maple baked beans (a la Angela) and buffalo chicken sausage.

I started by scrubbing and fork-piercing 4 red CSA potatoes.

Yes, those babies are the same color as my table.  Russet-colored, as Stephanie Meyer would say.

Here's the time-saving step: pop 'em in the micro for 3 minutes.  Par-cooking the taters exponentially minimizes the cooking time.

Next, chop.


('Tis the) Season.

Garlic powder, smoked salt, black pepper, smoked paprika.  I love the paprika for its spicy flavor and diner-food hue.

Heat up your skillet and add a spray of a drizzle of oil.  I was feeling decadent, so I poured in some of my favorite TJ Maxx-bought olive oil.
Pose, Greek diva.  You betta work!

I put the heat on medium to brown the outsides, then lowered it to... low.


After a short time a little while a few minutes (Martha Stewart I ain't), they'll be nice and crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside.


The rest of the dinner comes together in record time, as eggs cook quickly and the sausage and beans just get a quick nuke.


Action shot- go ketchup, go!  And yes, here we see Jake enjoying his "breakfast" with a side of Maker's.

So there you have it.  Is it the healthiest meal I've ever prepared?  No.  But it was delicious, fast and had protein, and stuff.  Not to mention, it filled my belly while preserving my sanity after a rush, rush, rush kinda day.

Eat up.



Question of the Day: Do you have a go-to weeknight meal?  Breakfast is foolproof in my book, and it can be very nutritious.  Very comforting and warming in the wintertime, too!  I have also been known to make oatmeal, omelets and souped-up cereal bowls for dins.

No comments:

Post a Comment