Sunday, July 11, 2010

If you can't take the heat....

Hola, mis amigas!

Earlier today I mentioned my pitstop to the store for some special ingredients.  I planned a Mexican feast for me and Boyfriend (who has decided that I may refer to him by his given name, so Boyfriend shall henceforth be known simply as Jake)!  I wanted something cool and fresh, especially after my run today.  I spent a few minutes in the kitchen and whipped up...

Spicy, Smoky Salscamole

While avocado is loaded with good fats, it's still... loaded with them.  So I decided to stretch the 'cado a little further by combining guacamole with salsa!  You will need:

  • 8 cherry tomatoes, or whole tomato equivalent
  • 1/2 an onion (I used a white one, but whatever you have on hand should be fine)
  • 1 jalopeno pepper
  • 1 clove garlic (or to taste)
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 tsp. Super secret seasoning (AKA smoked paprika and cumin in equal parts)
Ok, so this isn't really a recipe, more of a list of ideas for things to slice-and-dish-and-mush-together-in-the-bowl.
It also isn't photogenic.



But it is tasty, trust me.

A word of advice: Please, please PLEASE be careful when preparing the jalepeno.  Despite suffering an identical harrowing pepper-cutting incident a few months ago, I managed to burn myself with the capsaicin again.  It is still painful, and I am just suffering through it, since I know nothing works to relieve the pain; seriously, last time I tried milk baths, baking soda packs, aloe, you name it, and I was still in pain and just looking like a fool.  I even had to have my roommate's guest take out my contacts for me.  So be careful.  Wear gloves, maybe.
I can't take the heat.

The salscamole is still worth it.  I plan to use it for slathering and dipping purposes with soft-shell tacos and these babies:


...which were on sale for $1.99 each!  I'll let Jake decide the flave, but I'm secretly hoping for Sweet Potat'.

Bargain of the day at the grocery store was:



$0.59 for a boatload of organic nanas!  Very ripe bananas are great for me since I use them in smoothies, yogurt parfaits, homemade soft serve and chocolate dippers.  Into the freezer they went.  I love scoring a deal.  Feel free to make fun of me.

Had a glorious run this afternoon--  my first outdoor workout in a week!  It went down like this:

Distance: 3.1 miles
Time: 26:48
Average pace: 08:37
Average speed: 6.96 mph

My Garmin is a combination of starting a playlist or album when I leave the house and stopping it when I return, plugging the total time into a Time Calculator and plugging the result into my training calendar.  Yes, it may be a roundabout way of doing the calculations, but I just started running and can't quite fathom dropping at least two bills on a Forerunner.

I hope you learned a few things from this post: do as I say (free online running calculators!), not as I do (so. much. pain. in. the hands.)

4 comments:

  1. I always add salsa ingredients to my guacamole too- yes I guess it stretches the fat but honestly I just do it cause it makes it yummier!

    P.S. Just discovered your blog-- so stoked-- I'm Greek too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks girl! Pleased to e-meet you :D
    I'm hoping to be a good Greek and post some recipes from the Motherland this week. Sadly, today my loyalties are still of the Mexican persuasion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mean, guacamole and salsa are a winning combination. You'd mix them together anyway. So if you're making both, it just makes sense to make them together, as you then have fewer dishes to clean. And life is all about having fewer dishes to clean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know, Anonymous. Something tells me that The Barefoot Contessa, for example, would not tolerate co-mingling of condiments in a single bowl...
    That said, Yes. I am all about the consolidation of dishes!

    ReplyDelete