Tuesday, July 20, 2010

High life

Hi guys!

How's your Tunesday going?  I rocked out to a new playlist during a very special run.  More on that later.

I'll start from the beginning, with my favorite meal of the day... breakfast!
I try to make breakfast tantalizing so I have something to look forward to upon leaving my cozy bed.  Today's bowl was no exception.


Poor Man's Fruit on the Bottom Yogurt Bowl
In the bottom of my favorite tie-dye-style bowl, I layered 1 sliced banana, 1 Tbsp IKEA Lignonberry preserves, topped it with 1 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt and sprinkled a few almonds and a crumbled Chocolate Chip Clif bar (courtesy of Melinh) on the surface.  
This was cold, refreshing and so delicious!  I never used to eat breakfast, and when I started, it was only oatmeal.  I got panicky during the first few days of warm weather, since I couldn't tolerate the heat of my oatmeal.  I'm glad I've found a warm-weather replacement.

Lunch was the happiest and tastiest spread in as long as I can remember.  It featured an epic toastie made with honey whole wheat bread, mandoline-sliced carrots, sliced green apple, maple-smoked cheddar, whole grain mustard and a whopping 1/4 lb. of pepper turkey breast.  It was the real deal!  On the side, I enjoyed some homemade pickles, a super-ripe CSA peach (is there anything better than a good peach?) and the rest of my sweet potato chips, sprinkled with cinnamon.

Peep the layers in this baby. 


Is this a summer lunch or what?


 

I shall showcase my progress in three acts via Nibble Cam.



One of my darling coworkers made the most gorgeous brownies I have ever encountered.  They were studded with chocolate chips and walnuts.  I happily taste-tested.


Because it's Tunesday, I thought I'd share my newest cardio playlist!

Fit and Phat Playlist

(click to enlarge)


Interestingly enough, I don't much care for hip hop in my "real" life (I realize between that sentence and the playlist's title I have become the dorkiest person ever, living or dead), but when it comes to working out, it's what really gets me going.  I like a good, driving beat and aggressive and/or sassy vocals.  Failing that, I can bust out some dance moves while resting on a downhill stretch.

Today's run was very special to me.  I decided to buckle down and run 4 miles, the furthest I've ever run without stopping.  In January, I couldn't run 1 mile.  I fretted and anxiously practiced when my trainer informed me of the 1 1/2 mile fitness test I would be doing the beginning of February.  I still can't believe the progress I've made since then.  Sometimes, mid-stride or between sets, I still feel like I'm dreaming.

I look up to the sky and now the world is mine / I've known it all my life / I made it, I made it / I used to dream about the life I'm living now / I know that theres no doubt / I made it, I made it

Today, I decided not to time myself- I was nervous that I would push too hard or stress out, and I really wanted this to be a solid, relaxing run.  During my course, I let my mind wander and reflected over the changes I've made in my life this past year.  Tomorrow, I will be 24 years old, and for the first time in my life, I am proud of my strength.  I am still working on learning how to properly fuel (Editor's note: my life is not all fitness and goals.  Best believe I'll be headed face-first into my birthday cake tomorrow!!!!), reward and appreciate my body, but I'll probably always be learning.  [Literally] Striving towards my goals has been a great exercise in patience and kindness to myself- I didn't go from 0 - 4 miles overnight, that's for sure!

Even though I told myself I wasn't going to worry about my time, I returned to my driveway right as "Pop Bottles" ended!  I felt so accomplished with my time.  Also, I have named today's running route the Colt 45 Memorial 4 Miler in honor of relinquishing my unhealthy habit of over-drinking this past year.  I ran past one of my old haunts from my binging era tonight and felt so good to physically and mentally put that chapter of my life behind me.

Question of the Day: Do you practice goal setting (fitness-related or otherwise)?  I find goal setting to be useful because I tend to have unrealistic expectations for myself and setting smaller goals keeps me sane while allowing me to make progress towards a larger goal.  In January, I laughed if someone told me I would be running 4 miles in one go in just a few short months.  Laughed, then cried, then barfed.

And yes, you are allowed to tease me for the cheesiness that abounds in this post.  Love yous!

No comments:

Post a Comment