I think the heat has finally broken! I was able to sleep through the night, comfortably under the blankets. I always sleep under the blankets, come hell or high heat, because I feel too vulnerable without them. This quirk makes for some very, very uncomfortable summer nights.
After my refreshing night of sleep, I enjoyed a tantalizing breakfast.
Sweet and savory, the gang's all here! Braeburn apple with almond butter, blueberries, whole grain toast with 2 microwaved eggs and sriracha (a winning combination, I promise!) and another slice of toast with lignonberry preserves.
Star players. Mmmmm. My mom picked up the jam for me from Ikea, of all places. Thanks, Mom!
Lunch
Another serving of my quinoa and veggie salad, plus raisins and almond, sweet lil' slice of cheddar, and homemade pickles. I love these pickles.
Snacks
The usual, except a new (to me) flavor of 'bar: Peanut Butter and Jelly! Delicious. It tasted like childhood.
There also may have been nibbles of a Pizzeria Rico pizza involved in the afternoon snackage.
When I arrived home, I had an exciting surprise waiting...
My baby chia seeds I won from the lovely Cecilia!! I love getting mail, LOVE winning things, and go crazy for chias! My favorite way to enjoy them is
Sadly, my evening was not all sunshine and chia rainbows.
Warning: Graphic chia content below.
Don't say I didn't warn you...
I opened the box and, to my horror, found the following:
Huh?
What? (Here is where my bottom lip begins to quiver and a tear glistens in my eye)
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
I inspected the bag and it has a teeny little hole in it that caused some major chia bloodshed.
Maybe I am shellshocked from the rodent activity this week, but could that be a mouse hole? Internet, please convince me that the tear just happened on a sharp corner... in the mail...
What should I do?
The nice folks at Monterey Bay also included a catalog. I can't wait to pore over it.
They have everything!
I put on my Bondi Band and geared up for a run!
This here is why I can't mess around with wimpy hair elastics and headbands:
Hello, mane.
I tried the wicking band this time, which did a MUCH better job of staying in place than its Lycra brethren during this legendary run.
Hello, mane.
I tried the wicking band this time, which did a MUCH better job of staying in place than its Lycra brethren during this legendary run.
Distance: 3.5 miles
Time: 28:56
Average pace: 08:16
Average speed: 7.24 mph
I tested a new hilly run in preparation for the race in August. The last mile of today's run was all uphill, but I rocked it with a new playlist.
Run, Indie, Run!
Queen, "Radio Gaga"
The Smiths, "There Is a Light That Never Goes Out"
The Strokes, "Whatever Happened?"
The Strokes, "Whatever Happened?"
Peter Bjorn & John, "Let's Call It Off (Girl Talk Remix)"
Thieves Like Us, "Headlong Into Night"
The Walkmen, "The Rat"
Yeah Yeah Yeahs, "Y Control"
Wolf Parade, "I'll Believe in Anything"
This playlist was something a little different because I usually listen to dance, pop and rap when working out. I really enjoyed this mix, though! When "The Rat" came on, I got a HUGE burst of energy to tackle the big hill. The pulsing drums, the driving beat- that song never fails to motivate me.
One of my playlist-making strategies is to make it about the length of my goal time. When I turned into my street during "Y Control", I was elated! I knew I had made great time. Which was more than enough permission to recover by sprawling on the floor and eating a homemade coconut water popsicle. 
Question of the Day: What's your favorite power song right now?
I would bet that was just something that happened in the mail. I've had stuff like that happen and it is unfortunate.
ReplyDeleteGlad to see the Bondi Band worked for you. I am thinking of buying some.
Maria, if you get the Bondis, I would definitely recommend sticking with the wicking style. Even though they only come in solid colors, I've found them to be worlds more functional than the patterned Lycra version, which slides all over the place! Let me know if you pick some up :)
ReplyDeleteCute blog! Great to find another half-greek blogger out here ^~
ReplyDeleteI'm really hoping that that's just a sharp corner for you - I can't imagine why a mouse would be into chia seeds.
See you again soon, swing by me sometime!
x
That's such a sad fate for the chias. I'm assuming it was just a shipping glitch!
ReplyDeleteIts funny, I'm the same way with the covers. I have to sleep with at least a sheet wrapped around my middle - I can't fall asleep with no blankets at all.