Friday, August 27, 2010

Bean-y, baby.

I live in Boston.
This city is also called The Bean.
I grew up a bean's throw from the B&M Baked Bean factory.
I like me some beans.
BEANS IN MY BELLY!


These days, my favorite way to feast on beans, legumes, nuts, seeds and sundry other bird food is after sprouting them.  Sprouting grains and the like yields a deliciously edible treat that is still raw, meaning all of the glorious proteins and enzymes that Mother Nay-cha put in there remain intact.  I mostly sprout because I love watching the mad scientist alchemy of it all.  Oh, and sprouts are YUMMY!  Nommoms up!

---------------------------

You will need:
  • a cup or so (any amount, really) grain, seed, nut or bean of your choice.  My favorites are wheatberries and lentils, which is what I used this week.  I once had a major flop with sunflower seeds, but that doesn't mean it won't work for you; experiment to find what you like!  Check the bulk bins at your local grocery store for good deals and lots of variety.
  • a large jar.  Make sure it has a big mouth.  That's what she said.
  • a paper towel, length of cheesecloth or patch of metal screen.
  • a rubber band, unless you're using a metal screen.
  1. Put the lentils in the jar and cover them with twice as much water.  No need to measure, just make the water twice as high.  I usually do this step at night.
  2. Cover the lentils with the paper towel and leave the lentils to soak overnight. Leave them!!!
  3. The next morning, carefully drain off the water from the lentils.  Then place the jar on its side in a cozy, quiet corner.  Do not disturb.  Until...
  4. ...24 hours later, rinse the lentils with water.  Drain again, making sure you do a good job so there isn't a lot of extra moisture in the bottom to fester and get rank.  You want the lentils to be moistened.  After draining, put the jar back on its side to do its thang for another 24 hours. 
  5. Repeat the rinse-and-rest cycle until the sprouts are about 1" (it doesn't really matter) or until you can't wait any more!!
A quick Google search will yield lots of recipes for you.  Sprouts are great sprinkled on top of a salad or veggie burger, but I like to go really hardcore and eat a salad made entirely of the sprouts!  Today I tossed the lentils with some olive oil, tahini, garlic, salt and pepper.  OMG.

---------------------------

Here is the life cycle of the lentils.  It is SO MUCH fun to watch them grow.  Really gives you somethin' to get up for in the morning when you have nothing to live for!

the first night (soaking)
day 2

day 3

day 4 (the harvest)

day 5 (the lunch)

--------------------------- 

If you're interested in learning more 'bout sproutin', check out these links:
Choosing Raw
Wild Health   <---- I am obsessed with this video
Sprout Kitchen
Wikipedia

Also, I will take this opportunity to say that it is never, never worth it to eat something that looks iffy.  If the beans are giving you a funny feeling (spoiler alert: it's not hunger) or they look slimy, toss them and start over.  When in doubt, throw it out!  Or bring it to my mom, who will give it the Sniff Test and make it into goulash, you ungrateful wastrel.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! Don't knock the sniff test, you ungrateful Wastrel.
    Heading to the grocery store now.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete