Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Now I'm hungry.

Howdy doody!  I'm happy to report that I've made a full recovery from yesterday's salt bloat (I know you people were waiting with baited breath).  Indeed, I was well enough to go get my sweat on in another 90 minute, 90 degree yoga class.  Let me tell you, this yoga thing is growing on me.  Not unlike a tumor.  An expensive, nag-champa-scented tumor.  I posed hard and got some fantastic stretches in.  We ended with a looooong frog pose, which hurt so good.  I'm going back for some more vinyasa goodness tomorrow, hopefully with Angera in tow!

The bad news is that I suffered a painful migraine last night.  It started as soon as I got home - blind patches and all - and it was a long, slow, mean one.  My boss mentioned that migraines can be brought on by changes in the weather; perhaps it was due to my switch from the hot studio to the cold, clammy, rainy outdoors.  I don't think it was from the salt, either (and trust me, I am quick to point fingers when it comes to FOOD).  Methinks it was a good old-fashioned case of THE HORMONES!!! beating up on my head.  Believe it or not, I still have a relatively fierce headache going on.  I laid low and drank a lot of water today.  Flush out all dat ish. 

------------------

Today I finally got my act together and posed a question to my Facebook friends that's been rolling around my (snow)pea brain for quite some time.

When shopping for food, what is most important to you?
cost - organic - taste - convenience - local - nutrition - other

In the past year, my food hierarchy has changed dramatically. Now, I'm not talking about a switch from conventional yogurt to organic, but choices more along the lines of "would I rather spend my last $8 on Camel Lights or gummy bears and taquitos?"  It wasn't pretty.  In fact, my boyfriend reflects fondly on me stumbling through 7-11 during our first date and emerging onto the sidewalk with not one, but TWO bags of Doritos because I couldn't settle on one flavor.  In my defense, they were Limited Edition.

Sweet memories.

So I got to thinking about what's important to me these days.  Since I've quit smoking and I'm not drinking too much anymore, I'm able to rationalize more luxurious purchases like a $15 jar of coconut butter.  For me, a typical grocery trip hierarchy is something like this: nutrition - taste - organic - local - cost - convenience.  My "other" or "wildcard" is length of ingredients list, as I don't really like to buy things that have a lot of (weird) ingredients.  Here's how some of my Facebookers responded (I apologize for the ugly red blocks, I was trying to be nice and protect privacy!):

Oh, the friends.  

Kirtley raised a great question, which is to wonder how our hierarchy would change under different circumstances.  Here a few examples from my recent trips to da store:
  • I am quicker to buy a locally grown conventional vegetable than a nationally grown organic vegetable.
  • I buy foods at Haymarket regardless of their categorization because the produce there is a great deal and will be wasted if it isn't sold.
  • I am more likely to ignore cost if I am buying a specialty or gourmet item or if I make a special trip to buy it; I tend to watch cost if I am making buying a lot of different things or if I'm in a budgeting phase, of course.
  • If money were no object, nutrition and taste would still be first, followed by local and then organic.
  • In a perfect world, nutrition, taste, local, organic, cost and convenience would be perfectly balanced: I could buy a $1 locally- and organically-grown apple that tasted like steak, contained 30 g protein and cut itself into bite-sized pieces.  Ha!  Did I mention that the farmer would be HANDSOMELY compensated?  Yes, my $1 would divide and multiply.  To be fair, my CSA is kind of super like this.  Though not as steak-y.
  • Homemade food always, always trumps everything else.  It's a rarity and a treat for me to eat something homemade, so I savor it and don't really ask questions!
------------------

Question of the Day: What does your food hierarchy look like?  I would love to hear your thoughts!  And I know I'm not the only one who was feelin' the Black Pepper Jack Doritos.  Anyone?

3 comments:

  1. food heirarchy? hmmm i think i just buy the foods that i like! i try and look for them at the cheapest price possible buuuut if that doesn't work out then i'll "splurge" because if i'm going to enjoy it then i'm going to buy it! i buy local when it's available and not expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wait, i've changed my mind:
    taste
    nutrition
    convenience
    cost
    organic
    local

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an interesting question. I think my hierarchy would be

    nutrition
    taste
    cost
    organic/local
    convenience

    Actually, cost and organic/local switch places depending on the product. If it's spinach, I always go organic regardless of the cost. But of other things such as oranges, cost would win out.

    ReplyDelete