Saturday, August 7, 2010

Breakfast Blissfest


Oatie action shot!  In the pot: oatmeal for two with 2/3 cup rolled oats, 1 1/3 cup vanilla soymilk, 1 banana and a pinch of sea salt.


Seasonings get stirred in after the heat is turned off.  Doesn't vanilla extract evaporate when heated?




Jake did the whirlwind with his before I had the chance to photograph it.

 

Mine.

I ADORE oatmeal and have really missed it during these warm months.  I used to eat oatmeal as a child, but I never liked it: I think my parents made it with water and maple syrup.  Gloppy sadness (sorry Ma and Pa).  During my college years, I dabbled in instant oatmeal packets, but nothing stuck.  I got back into oatmeal this winter after discovering Kath's Tribute to Oatmeal and reconsidered the dish as a beautiful blank canvas for CULINARY GENIUS!  Ok, so I'm more like a mad scientist.  Anyway, this morning, I actually announced to Jake that I "can't wait for cold weather so I can enjoy my warm bowls of oats every day"!  It's so cozy and comforting.  Not to mention cheap (especially if you buy the raw materials in bulk!), versatile and convenient. Om nom nom.

Question of the Day: What's your favorite oatmeal topping?  I love anything with bananas, apples, maple or chocolate.  Also, have any of you tried savory oatmeal?  I've seen several recipes, but it scares me.  I think it's a textural thing. I wish I could get into it because oatmeal for dinner would be so fast!

Happy Saturday!  CSA haul coming soon....


2 comments:

  1. looks delicious! I love oatmeal! Have you tried overnight oats yet? I'm loving them this summer because they're eaten cold!

    For a long time I was grossed out by savory oats, but then I got an urge to try them one day - they were pretty good. Granted I haven't made them again since;), but I did enjoy them that day. I definitely like them better sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello!! from the frozen south of south america

    ReplyDelete