This afternoon, when I swung by the Farmer's Market to pick up the weekly goods, a Stillman handed me a flyer/application for their Winter CSA. My first instinct was to drop that thang like a hot potato, but then I got to thinking... winter isn't far off, and
maybe that isn't a bad thing. For instance, it is now 7:30 PM, and the sun has already set on the fields and the city, which means I can freely prance around my house in my jammies. I can drink warm mugs of tea and snuggle under knitted throws. Cooler weather also means baking root vegetables, the smells and sounds of crunchy leaves and hot bowls of oatmeal to start the day. In terms of the CSA, autumn means more apples, lots of kale and the triumphant return of beets.
OK, so summer is still very much here, as evidenced by the cucumbers and melons in this weeks box, but don't say I didn't warn you. And don't egg my house, either.
 |
| Huge head of lettuce, beans, red onion, tomatoes, eggplant, canary melon, red pepper, hot pepper, peaches, Paula Red apples, potatoes, corn, hot pepper, cucumbers, broccoli and kale. |
 |
| Beautiful colors. |
On another note, this CSA share has brought me so much joy. It's so hard to believe that one of my New Year's Resolutions was to eat
one piece of fruit per day. These days, I typically eat an apple, an orange or grapefruit, a banana and a smattering of dried fruits (raisins, prunes, figs and dates are my favorites) every day; I can't imagine stopping at one! The CSA shipment has also forced me to increase my veggie intake, too, as everything must be eaten in a most timely manner. A big salad, replete with farm-fresh veggies, grains and healthy fats, is a staple in my daily menu. I love learning about eat new piece of produce from the farm and trying new recipes. If you are looking to try new foods or increase your produce intake, I wholeheartedly recommend looking into a CSA share. Check out
Local Harvest for a directory and information on markets and CSA opportunities near you! -end PSA-
Wow, that's a mighty fine looking box of veggies ;)
ReplyDeleteand those peaches would be awesome on oatmeal with a little splash of maple syrup! Of note, the apples in the lower right corner of second pic are an old variety called Sheepnose or Molly Delicious. I hope you liked them!