And for that sentence, I deserve every accusation that I've turned boring.
But wait! Hear me out! The salads were proteini, colorful, crunchy and delicious. Simply marvy. I'm sharing them with you because 1. I know how easy it is to get in a salad rut and 2. I know how many iceberg/shredded carrot/withered cucumber side-salad-eating nonbelievers there are out there. I'd wager a guess that most of them dine out exclusively at Applebees.
Down to business. First up: the lunch salad.
Spiraly Tuna Salad
Come closer...
Contents:
- CSA red leaf ettuce
- Spiralized CSA golden beets
- Spiralized CSA radish (hoochie mama, this was spicy!!!)
- Spiralized CSA cuke
- Spiralized carrots (the brand is "Bunny Luv"... how cute is that?!)
- 1 can Roche Bros. water-packed tuna (so flavorful and rich. It blows Bumblebee out of the water [har har], and is definitely my new favorite, better even that Trader Joe's)
- Juice of 1/4 a lemon
Next up... the dinner salad. This one was a little more dangerous and a lot more involved. There were steps.
Chili Lime Coconut Shrimp Salad
1. Make a sauce for your protein of choice using a combination of coconut oil, peanut butter, lime juice, ginger, chili powder, cumin, smoked salt, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper and cracked black pepper. (When I whip up my creations, I don't really measure, so the ingredients are just listed in greatest to least quantity. My idea was to make a seasoned coconut oil).
2. Slather sauce onto chosen protein (I used shrimp), then slap it onto a sizzling hot pan. I used the grill pan that my mother gave me for my birthday. Yes, the one I literally burned to a crisp upon first use. What? It's just seasoned.
3. While the protein is cooking, put together a salad. I used a combination of CSA red leaf lettuce, CSA cabbage, CSA cukes, spiralized carrots, diced avocado (I use the mango method: cross-hatch, flip contents into a bowl), onion. I forgot to put in tomatoes. Squirt with lime juice.
4. Once the protein is cooked to your liking, sprinkle with unsweetened flake coconut and pile it on top of your salad.
5. Top with chili sauce and more coconut. Coconut makes everything better. You go, coco!
-----------------------------------------
People, I am sore after last night's
My "Happy August 3rd!" treats: MetroMint peppermint water, Peanut Butter & Co. White Chocolate Wonderful and the famed new LaraBars. I love trying new foods. Today, I had three winners!
- The peppermint water was so delicious and refreshing- it was like drinking a piece of Orbit! At first I was sort of skeeved by a minty "Am I at the dentist?" feeling, but the flavor grew on me. I sipped the bottle on the train, which was steamy due to broken A/C, and the minty-ness definitely cooled me off!
- The PB is good. The white chocolate flavor is subtle and definitely less strong than dark chocolate nut butters. It sort of just tastes like sweet peanut butter. One perk was the fact that it was on sale for a dollar less that its usual price- nothing wrong with that!
- I nibbled a chocolate chip cookie dough LaraBar for dessert. It blew my mind. I actually furrowed my brow and re-read the ingredients (cashews, dates, chocolate chips, sea salt) because it tasted so very much like raw cookie dough! It amazes me how versatile cashews are- raw ricotta, vegan cheese, and now cookie dough, of course. Anyways, I want a case (you heard me) of these bars.
-----------------------------------------
Question of the Day: Have you tried the new LaraBars?! If so, what did you think? They're a big hit in the blog world; I was worried that since they had been built up so much, I would be disappointed when I finally got a chance to try them. As you know, that wasn't the case ;) I can't wait to taste the other flavors!
Sign me up for the shrimp salad!!
ReplyDeletethat shrimp meal looks great,
ReplyDeletehaven't tried the bars ..yet
@Tanya @Anon Glad the shrimp looked good! I love the frozen shrimp because they defrost quickly and can be used in a great plethora of dishes :)
ReplyDeleteYour salads look awesome! I am a big fan of huge, loaded salads. There's really no other way to do it!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE the new Larabars. The carrot cake and cookie dough are to die for!
My only reservation is that the chocolate brownie one has sugar in it. I'm not trying to be freakish about it or anything, but I naively assumed the ingredient list would be clean, and I didn't even check it until after I finished it.
Not saying I wouldn't buy it again (it was delicious!), but I was just a bit disappointed.
you inspired me to try some larabars (which i have never had ever). i tried the cherry pie one which was awesome and just the right amount of tart and delicious. i have the key lime pie one on standby in my bag and can't wait to try it!
ReplyDelete@Morgan, I'm so pleased! I ate a cherry pie bar on Wednesday and my love was rekindled- it is definitely my favorite. I haven't had the key lime bar yet, so let me know whatcha think!
ReplyDeleteSince you liked the cherry pie flave, you might want to check out the cherry pomegranate Clif C bar. The taste and texture are very similar to the LaraBar, but there is a CRUMB TOPPING. Surprisingly, the stats are better, too. Believe it. There is a coupon to try one for half off in the newest Whole Foods circular. http://www.clifbar.com/food/products_clif_c/4283
Never done nerdin' out.