Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Pop 'em like Orville Redenbacher

Hey world!  Happy humpday to you :D

Boston was bloody hot today, so I didn't leave the office once.  I generally don't like A/C, but on those few unbearable summer days it is heavenly.  Plus, we can control the temperature in our office!  Don't you hate walking into an over-A/C'd grocery store or bank?  Ugh.  Hateful, wasteful.  Needless to say, I started sweating en route to the gym for my BodyRock recovery workout.  Yes, I'm still sore!

The deets:
Warm up: 10 minutes on treadmill @ 4.0 mph and 10% incline
  • Stiff-legged DB dead lifts  8 x 3 x 25
  • Bent over DB rows (I do one arm at a time, holding on to the front o' the bench with my other arm)  8 x 3 x 25
  • Dips  8 x 3
  • DB shoulder press  10 x 3 x 15
  • Calf raise  15 x 2 x 160
  • Double straight leg raise  3 x 15
  • Supermans  20 x 3
Cool down: 5 minutes on treadmill @ 4.0 mph and 5% incline

It was so good!  It felt great to stretch my body and break a shweat.

----------------------------------

I couldn't be bothered to make a proper dinner, so I scounged up two delightful Picky Plates.  Chowing down on these makes me feel like a little kid again!  Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

One sweet, one savory

 Carrots, cheddar, spicy mustard and turkey breast

Fuji (favorite) apple, almond butter, White Chocolate Wonderful and dried figs
I love making plates like this because they are ready to eat so soon, you can snack while you prepare them and there are so many flavor combinations!  Apple and ched, for instance.

Ok ok.  Here's the real reason I love making a snack plate...


I have scraps for the bunny!  Here's a video of Mr. Waffles in action.


After I finished eating and harassing filming Mr. Waffles, I whipped up the best, easiest dessert.  Of course, I had to summon the Holy Trinity!


I combined two recipes from some brilliant bloggin' Mamas: Averie and Roni!  Their blogs come with the highest of accolades from me, as they both offer up tons of easy, nutritious and DELICIOUS recipes, among other things.  They also both happen to be amazing, loving mothers, and I hope I can boast the balance that they have when I have a family of my own someday! /cheesy.

I really just used Averie's recipe and Roni's technique- can't call it my own.  So without further ado, I bring you...

Coconut Oil Chocolate Popcorn
messy and delicious.


  1. Prepare the chocolate coating by mixing 1 Tbsp cocoa powder, 1 Tbsp coconut oil and 1.5 tsps agave nectar.  Just stir to combine.  Feel free to sweeten with whatever liquid you have on hand- I've used honey and maple syrup, and they both taste great.  Please note that you may also sweeten to your liking.  I enjoy a more bittersweet flavor, wheras Jake likes a sweeter batch.
  2. Pop a few Tbsps of the corn using method of your choice.  I followed Averie's recommendation of popping kernels in a microwaved paper bag.
  3. Drizzle chocolate goodness all over popcorn and stir to coat.


You gotta try this!  It's so crazy good.  I like to switch it up by sprinkling a pinch of cayenne or smoked salt on top.  Hot tamale!

The best part about this recipe is that it tastes like a sinfully indulgent treat, but it's really not that bad, consider 1 cup of air-popped corn only has about 30 calories!  And don't even get me started on coconut oil.  I mostly use it for the flavor- it's good in everything from desserts to sautees- but it is also getting a lot of attention for its possible health benefits due to its unique fatty acid chain composition.  I ain't no coconut expert, but I have done a little bit of reading and it sounds good to me!  Not that I would need any convincing- I just love the flave.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

----------------------------------

Question of the Day: Do you eat snacks or meals that remind you of your childhood?  I love "little kid" foods like homemade popsicles, and don't even get me started on Ants on a Log!  Another reason I love my snacky feasts is because my mom always served meals to my brother and me on these little compartmentalized trays (sort of like what they have in a cafeteria or on an airplane).  I remember having fun separating out all my foods into the little cubbies on the plate.  Ah, sweet memories of blossoming my early perfectionism.

5 comments:

  1. Looks good! Cocoa powder and popcorn and coconut oil..mmmm, good stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so with you on the air conditioning issue. I get so annoyed at places that are over air conditioned. Not only wasteful, but so uncomfortable!

    OMG that bunny is the cutest thing:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Averie, thank you for the inspiration!

    @Candice, before I started recording, he picked up the apple core in his mouth and pranced around in circles. He got a little camera shy, though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my god- Rhea- was just creeping facebook and saw you on Averie's site- I'm so stoked you're blogging!

    How much are you loving it?!!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Adrien, it is magical! I like it a lot. Did you know that yours was one of the first blogsters I got into? Like, first three. Wanna be my Godblogmother? :D

    ReplyDelete