Sunday, August 1, 2010

An old-timey shopping experience.

Hi guys!  Today I want to talk about outdoor markets.  Not farmers markets, but plain old-fashioned street corner fruit and veg stands.  In Boston, we have a great one: Haymarket.


Haymarket runs all year long on Fridays and Saturdays 'til dusk.  You can find some great deals on one-off ("used", as my dad says) produce and other goods.  Here's a great description of Haymarket from New England Travel Planner:
The Haymarket produce market is a welcome contrast to the more upscale offerings of the food shops, restaurants and boutiques of adjoining Faneuil Hall Marketplace.
The market is centered on short, narrow Blackstone Street. Most of the costermongers (vendors) are oldtimers from the North End's Italian community. Some have been working the market for decades, and some families have done it for generations.
Prices are much lower than in supermarkets. Haggling is sometimes possible, especially late in the day when prices fall as the sellers would rather sell than pack up, carry away and store what's left on the carts.
It's a colorful scene, and authentic. Most shoppers are not here to take photos but to shop for food for big families and to save money.


Anycostermongers (seriously, how great is that word?), there are open-air markets like this all over the world!  I remember going to my first outdoor fruit market in London, where I was studying abroad.  I was thrilled to find fresh figs (I had only ever had them in their dried state), herbs and berries.  I snatched up some blackberries right quick and probably skipped all the way home.  Sadly, upon arriving home, I took a closer look at my goods and learned that half of the blackberries were moldy.  I was furious!, and contemplated bringing them back to the vendor.  After a conversation with my dad, expert on all things bargained, I learned that 'twould be most inappropriate to bring the moldy berries back to the fruit vendor.  I never knew.

Which brings me to the meat fruit of today's post: a how-to guide for outdoor market shopping.


1. Know what to expect.  Open-air markets, while they do carry  fruits, veggies and even flowers, are not farmers markets.  At Haymarket, at least, the goods are not local and are usually not organic.  What they are, however, is a great deal.  The vendors at Haymarket purchase the fruits and veggies after all of the local grocery stores have bought their rations.  In other words, Haymarket sells leftovers which would be wasted if we didn't buy them up.  Waste not, want not!  I consider this to be on par with living green because of the wastefulness it prevents.  Plus, the goods can be upcycled into a fabulous recipe!
2. Buy only what you will consume.  Because the wares have been sitting for a long time (after all the grocery stores pored over them), they are ripe and ready to eat.  Like, today.  Thus, the prices are dirt cheap.  It boggles my mind to think that ripened produce is so much cheaper than the rock-hard avocados sold at grocery stores.  This is a real score for those of us who make smoothies!  Try prepping the fruits you buy and freezing them in gallon bags.  Another option is to juice the ripe fruits.
3. Be a good shopper.  At Haymarket, the costermongers (LOVE. IT.) have a reputation for being gruff and using most colorful language.  Treat your vendor right, however, and you shall be rewarded!  Smile and don't ask a lot of questions: they're busy guys, and kiwi experts they ain't.  Use common sense and be respectful of their wares: don't paw at every plum to look for a good one, just use your eyes and take ONE.  Some vendors will do all the picking and packing for you.  At the end of the day, particularly, it's okay to haggle.  Just remember to be polite and smile!
4. Bring your own bags.  Preferably something sturdy, like canvas.  Otherwise, you'll end up with 10 plastic bags (they're more than a little bag-happy at Haymarket) stuffed with everything from pineapples to pumpkins.  Better yet, bring a rolling metal crate: they're not just for bag ladies anymore!  If you want to really stock up on stuff, roll with the roller.
5. Look over the fruits carefully.  My moldy blackberry fiasco could have been avoided, had I inspected the package better.  If you do find mold, simply hand the tainted item back to the vendor and quietly inform him of your findings.  Causing a scene will only get you on their blacklist.  Some mold, especially in hot months, is unavoidable- especially since we're talking "used" produce, here.  If you're comfortable with 1 moldy cherry tomato in a 2/$1 pint, simply chuck it when you get home.
6. Wash, wash, wash.  Wash your stuff.  Trust me on this one.  Then you can safely and happily munch on the fruits of your labor!

So there you have it: six rules to help you take the plunge into outdoor shopping.  I love Haymarket for the colorful scenes and organized chaos that could only come at the crossroad of bargains and food. 



Look at these little cuties I snatched up.


Can you handle it?  I can't.  I had to squeeze my eyes shut as I slaughtered sliced them into my morning oatmeal.

The whole bounty:


Even seasoned market goers make mistakes.  Confession: I was so blinded by the $1.50 price tag on the blackberries (you heard me: blackberries.  Oh, the irony!), that I neglected to look them over.  Turns out, most of them were too moldy to use.  I didn't feel comfortable eating them, so I pitched the rest of the pint.  Live and learn.  I got tons of other great stuff.  Besides, you know what they say about life giving you lemons...


Display them in your dinette until you juice them into spicy lemonade.


Question of the Day: Have you ever shopped at an outdoor market?  If not, do you think you could or would?  Boston friends, I would love to take you around Haymarket sometime.  It's lots more than the produce stands: there's this whole crazy underworld of fresh fish and middle eastern shops below the streets!

No comments:

Post a Comment