Thursday, August 19, 2010

Flowers and tofu: I am a hippie.

Hey hey y'all.  What a beautiful day it was in Boston!  I spent my lunch break outside reading the newest Real Simple on a bench in the sun.  I'm trying to fit in as much outdoors time while the weather's still glorious!

------------------------------------

I've been experimenting with my camera a lot lately.  I like testing my lil' point and shoot and playing with different settings.  My newest discovery?  How to take those DSLR-ey pictures that feature crisp close-ups and blurred backgrounds.


Coworker A picked up this plant for me at Ikea a few months ago, and since then, it has sprouted some sort of majestic vine and bud!  It appears to be some sort of echeveria.  Whatever it is, I appreciate its alien aesthetic and its love of the camera!


During my walk home, I spotted these crazy flowers and had to document them.  They look like something that Lewis Carroll would write about.


------------------------------------

After tonight's run (a beautiful one that featured a jaunt around the local pond), I was HONGRAY like the wolf.


Tres chic appetizer comprised of crunchy carrots and my favorite, favorite nut butter.  Boyfriend cops it for me at Costco for a song.  Very nice!

Dinner was my own twist on Averie's Sesame Ginger Tofu.  My friend called me yesterday and asked me for tofu recipe suggestions, and I pointed him in this direction.  I used to fear preparing tofu because it usually turned out mushy or oily.  My foolproof method these days is to press, marinate and bake!  The possibilities are endless.  Tonight's batch was prepared as follows:


Wrapped in a clean kitchen towel and squeezed in the poor man's tofu press.

Cubed and dredged in a blend of (not measured, but listed in order from greatest amount to least) maple syrup, olive oil, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, minced garlic, minced ginger, smoked salt, sesame seeds, red pepper flakes and cracked peppah.  Then popped into a 425 degree oven for 25ish minutes.


I enjoyed them beside a roasted zucchini (which was a mushy fail!!!) and cucumber spears.  I always, always eat my baked tofu with cukes because I am so eager to eat the tofu, I can't wait for it to cool down and burn my mouf.  Cucumber helps me heal.

And now you know.

------------------------------------
 
Question of the Day: How are you going to savor the last days of summer?  Ok, "last days" may be a stretch, but I live in Masachusetts.  Read: come August, I start looking over my shoulder for A SNOWSTORM.

3 comments:

  1. Found you via your comment on Chia Seed me... Tofu scares me unless it's in an Amy's Organic frozen stir fry bowl but I'll have to bookmark this for future food experimentation! As for your QOTD: I've been taking my little ones to the park and pool before school starts which marks the "end of summer" for me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, amber!
    Once you get the tofu method down, you can experiment with so many toppings or marinades. That said, I usually wind up going with my true blue sesame ginger variety because it's SO GOOD! If you're looking for more ideas, check out Love Veggies and Yoga's tofu page (http://www.loveveggiesandyoga.com/p/recipes.html)- I have it bookmarked for inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm volunteering at a camp in CT for sick kids. I can't wait. :D Then I'm gonna come back and read outside in my bikini.

    ReplyDelete