The race was to kick off at 7:00, which was fantastic, since that's when I usually run. The weather worked in my favor, too, as it was not too humid and sort of... chilly! My dad drove my to the race neighborhood in downtown Portland and we walked around for a few minutes. The race marked the kick-off of the 2010 Festival at St. Peter's church. We were surprised to find that none of the booths for the fest were open- no pizza, no sammiches, no nothing. Most notably, no greasy pole! Yes, the fest boasted a greasy pole contest in the past, but it was deemed unsafe or something. The horror. Save the greasy pole! Back to the lack of entertainment: it seemed like a bit of a waste for hundreds of people to be milling around pre- and post-race with no other attractions. Unable to distract myself with poles or pizza, I paced, tried to stay warm and watched the little kids do their 1/4 mile Fun Run.
When it was time to line up, I got right in the middle of the pack. My dad managed to snap a few pictures.
The race started with a literal BANG; the organized shot off a legitimate cannon. What?! It made me a jump a foot and, needless to say, gave me a good running start.
I had researched the route and new that a 5% grade hill was in the first half-mile. I left pacing myself back with the cannon and rocketed up the climb. I was really surprised at my energy, since I was feeling so nervous and sort of weak during the day. Next up was a long loop around the Eastern Prom. The race began at 7:00 PM, so I enjoyed a spectacular sunset from atop the promenade. My words couldn't possibly do it justice.
The remainder of the race was relatively uneventful, save for a spitting mishap that resulted in some of my fluids plastered to my cheek. The course wasn't completely blocked off, so I had to mindfully navigate around cars and pedestrians. One of the best technical parts of this race was the clocks at each mile marker, which made it easy to pace myself; I ended up staying on a nearly identical pace during both halves of the run. The 4 miles were quite hilly and challenging, but ended on a downhill slope. I was SO happy when I came across the final turn and saw my dad. I even found a video of myself finishing! (See: 03:25). Yes, my gait is wonky, but it works.
I finished the 4 miles in 33:14 and promptly
It was a beautiful night and a memorable run. Thinking about my mimi makes my heart hurt and flop around in my chest, but the race was the one time during the past few days that the fluttering didn't matter- my race pace heartbeat weaved the tightness and the pain into my chest and my breath.
I wish she could have been there to see me, but I know that wherever she is now, she got the best seat in the house.


Rhea, nice race!! This was a beautiful post, and a wonderful tribute and sendoff to your Mimi. It's horrible to lose someone so important & special; I'm glad you're already finding ways to remember her.
ReplyDelete♥ Cat
Thanks, Cat! That means a lot. I am trying to navigate life without her and honor her memory as best I can.
ReplyDeleteRhe,
ReplyDeleteYou're wonderful in every way.
Mala