Saturday, August 21, 2010

CSA Saturday, Episode VI

So according to my newsletter from Stillman's, this is the eleventh week of CSA bounty.  Summer, where have you gone?!  I can't believe how quickly this summer/year is going by.  Anydreadingwinter, this is only my sixth update on the CSA goodness on this here blog, since I only started it in July and I was a delinquent last week.  Without further ado... the harvest.


The box was SO HEAVY this week, so I wasn't surprised to pop it open and see a melon staring back at me.



Begging for mercy Singing for my supper.


Crunchy cucumbers, kurly kale, z...zucchini, hiding green beans, purty lettuce, swanlike summer squash, red tomatoes and juicy peaches.


Red Paula apple, corn, gnarly potatoes and some kinda melon.  A round watermelon, maybe?

There were two apples, but I snacked on one after my walking workout.


A Snow White lookin' apple.  Juicy and crunchy.

The Apple Beast.
The potatoes look more like Sharpeis!


Potato brain.
Potato butt (a fantastic pet name).  That is one conjoined potato, not two!
 -----------------------------

Before I picked up the CSA, Jake and I enjoyed a delicioso weekend breakfast.


Frozen 4-grain flapjakes (unfortunate typo) leftover from last weekend that I thawed in the toaster and topped with peanut butter and maple syrup and served with vanilla bean almonds and grrrrrrrrapefruit.

Juicy.
Roommate A has a guest for the weekend, and she is a barista in coffee capital Seattle!  She taught me a tasty method for infusing coffee that I will share with y'all tomorrow.  Baby's first video.

Speaking of babies, look who I got to take care of all weekend:

Jake trying to display his woundery.
Jake had some minor surgery on his lip this week and has been a sad, sick puppy.  He underestimated the pain, so I have been playing Nurse Ratchet.  No hot coffee for him!  We have, however, enjoyed some ice cream.  JP Licks' Coffee Oreo heals all!

My well-deserved post-CSA lunch was a salad...

CSA lettuce, CSA cuke, CSA tomato, can of tuna, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepa
...with bread, cheese...

Courtesy of Panera and Cabot 2 year reserve
...drizzled with a farmer's market purchase: raw honey!


This honey is like none I've ever had before.  It is super creamy and has a sort of opalescent appearance.  It was such a treat with the bread and cheese!  I also snuck a few tastes straight from the jar.  I love honey!  Oh, did I mention that Kirk Webster seems to be an amazing man and has devoted his life to holistically raising bees in Vermont?  He's living the dream (or nightmare, if you are afraid of bees like I am)!

  -----------------------------

Longest post eva.  Mayjah.
I'm off to scrounge dinner, call my family and possibly watch a movie with The Wounded.  Have a great Saturday night!

No comments:

Post a Comment