Behold:
Ok, maybe not as majestic as I had hoped, but the smell! The smell. Actually, this honey possesses what is worthy of calling an aroma.
I shall share the following recipe in two installations: one for we who appreciate word nerdery, the others, photographs. Please note that this recipe is not my own; I have roughly lifted the process from The National Honey Board's (yes, that exists!) website. Enjoy and be sure to check out their other mouthwatering ideas.
Herb-Infused Honey
1 part herbs
1 part honey
(which is to say 1 cup herbs for every 1 cup of honey, and so on)
that's it!
In regard to the roughage, let me say this: get thee to a farmer's market! Shopping for herbs is a fantastic way to get your feet wet at what can otherwise be a very overwhelming experience. There are so many beautiful, fragrant herbs in season and flowers in bloom at the moment. Sniff them all and snatch up whatever tickles your fancy! Some other tasty additions to this recipe include rosemary, thyme, chocolate mint (it's real!), pineapple mint, purple basil, orange zest, grapefruit zest, any zest really except for this one, mint, lavender, rose and so forth. Just be sure that nothing has been sprayed with pestycides and rinse, baby, rinse!
1. Place herbs and honey in a small saucepan and gently heat to a boil. Now, the NHB recommends using a double-boiler, which I would have used if I were cautious. I threw caution to the wind!
2. Once boiling, bring the mixture to approximately 185 degrees Farenheit. I'd be willing to wager that the use of a thermometer is not essential here. Just boil the damn honey.
3. Keep honey at that temperature for 10 minutes. Boil, boil, boil.
4. Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes.
5. Strain into sterilized (ha!) containers.
- Oh, how I hated to waste those honey-soaked lemon basil leaves! I was in a rush, but if I had been thinking, I would have plopped them in a mug and poured some hot water on top for a nice cup of tea.
- I poured the finished honey into an old spice jar and decorated it with neon dots for my friend's birthday. There are so many ways to decorate and customize this project, and the ability to make big batches means it's great for da holidays. How sweet (if I do say so myself)!
- I enjoyed a little bit of the leftover honey over my breakfast yogurt, granola and peaches. It was incredible.
Question of the Day: What kind of honey would you make? Next, I want to try a rosemary honey for drizzling over parmesan cheese shreds!
wow - this is so interesting! I've actually never heard of anyone making honey like this before. I'd love to try it!
ReplyDelete