Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The first of many Early-morning Oatmeals.

Jake and I stayed up late, laying awake in the dark, brainstorming things to do in San Francisco.  When the alarm went off at DAWN'S WHISPER this morning, we look at each other like, "Is this real life?" before crawling to the kitchen for an uplifting breakfast.

Apologies for the sad, grainy pictures.  I had oatmeal on the brain and I wasn't playing with no photos!


We spiced up my standard oatmeal recipe for two...
Bring 1 banana, 2/3 cup rolled oats, 2/3 soy milk and a pinch of salt to a bubbling boil.  Stir vigorously until oats are cooked.  Remove from heat and stir in 1 tsp. cinnamon and 2 tsp. vanilla.  Top each serving with 1 tsp. chia seeds and 1 Tbsp. nuts or nut butter. 
 ...with the dried cherries and vanilla paste that I bought yesterday.


I did the oatmeal, he was in charge of the coffee.  With the power of two early-morning-half-brains, we are a great team.

4 comments:

  1. I had oatmeal this morning too! I topped mine with cooked apples in a cinnamon and brown sugar sauce and dried cranberries. It was sort of like a cranberry-apple oatmeal pie, it was super tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how my nose managed to sneak into frame here

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds so good! Craisins are delicious in oatmeal. I like them put in at the end, though, so they are chewy and not soft/plump (mouthfeel snob here).
    ALSO I am currently eating leftover four-grain flapjacks topped with a cooked apple :)

    And Jake, keep your nose outta dis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate! There are plenty of times food goes undocumented simply bec I'm too hungry for photo op time.

    ReplyDelete