Jake and I had a cozy fall morning, picked up the CSA box, dropped it off and headed to Allston for some SHOPPING! and a stroll. I got some new duds and kitchenware at Urban Outfitters and Jake bought a new amp. We are stereotypes.
After the shopping, we were both very, very hungry. I get cranky when I'm that hungry! We dined at Publick House in Brookline. I've never had the greatest service there-- to me, the staff typically comes off as stuffy at best and condescending at worst-- and last night was no exception. I got an entree-sized version of the mussels appetizer and Jake copped the salmon sandwich, which contained fish that looked and tasted as if it were canned. He was deeply dissatisfied and ordered a supplementary dish, the always delicious macaroni and cheese with bacon mixed in. Throughout our long and leisurely meal, I nursed two beers with help from Jake:
![]() |
| [sourcery] |
A new [to me] brew: Dogfish Head Punkin Ale. From their website: "A full-bodied brown ale with smooth hints of pumpkin and brown sugar. We brew our Punkin Ale with pumpkin meat, organic brown sugar and spices. This is the perfect beer to warm-up with, as the season cools." It tasted like Thanksgiving dessert! All I needed was a fireplace, a warm blanket and a backrub. Oh, and a turkey nap.
![]() |
| [sourcery] |
After dinner, I came home giggly and passed out in my bed. At 8:15. On a bare mattress.
So.... no post yesterday. Good food, good drinks, good company and good sleep, though!
-----------------------
Oh yeah, the vegetables:
A wintry mix! Kale, some kinda squash (that I can't WAIT to bake with maple syrup), arugula, cranberry beans, broccoli, green peppers, apples, eggplant, pears (so excited that we got more of these), tomatoes, hot peppers and corn.
The cranberry beans were one of the extra choices this week, and I couldn't resist them! They are so pretty.
I'm not a big eggplant fan, but I think I'm going to give baba gannoush a whirl tonight!
-----------------------
Lots of grocery shopping and cooking to do. I'm really getting into the fall products-- so nice to have some fresh flavas.
I can't believe tomorrow's already Monday. I don't mind much, because I like work routines and tomorrow bring me one day closer to SAN FRANCISCO!


I seriously would love to try a pumpkin beer. I guess I'll have to wait til next year. :(
ReplyDeleteTina, it took me sooooooooooo long to understand this. I was all, "There's still so much pumpkin beer-drinking season left!" and, "Maybe she lives in a dry village!" before, an hour or so later, I remembered: THE BABY.
ReplyDeleteD'oh. Hangover brain X)
Beautiful blog (found you from Averie's). I love beer actually, so pumpkin?! Love to try.
ReplyDeleteAll fall foods/flavors are great - lovin' squash(es) and pumpkin baked goods. Who am I kidding - any baked goods ;)
Thanks, Friend! Averie's blog is sort of the gold standard, it's cool to get a "referral" from there ;)
ReplyDeleteOne fall flavor I haven't had yet: CIDER. That's when you know it's really autumn, especially if you drink it outside. And always, always baked goods :)
I love Publick House. I go face first in their fries!
ReplyDeleteGlad you had a great day! It's funny because I really don't like eggplant either, but I love babaganoush! If you make it, you must post the recipe!
ReplyDeleteHey Candice! I don't know if I'll post it, but here's the recipe I got from my CSA newsletter: 1 roasted and peeled eggplant, 2 cloves chopped garlic, 1/4 cup lemon juice (easy work with a juicer!) 3 Tbsp tahini pureed in a food processor. THAT'S IT! I seasoned mine with salt, pepper, paprika, cumin and coriander. It's safe to say I am an eggplant convert now!
ReplyDeleteI was wondering if I could email you a yoga question. I am having difficulty with a pose and I know you are a bit of an expert :)
I'm so excited for pumpkin beers and fall vegetables!
ReplyDeleteYay Hollie! I want to host a pumpkin-carving party with fall food and drank.
ReplyDelete