-------------------------
Good news: I cracked the case of my hip pain!
Bad news: I'm a fool!
By process of elimination, I determined that my hip pain was caused by sleeping with a pillow between my knees. I had read in a number of sources that sleeping in this position was the best way to support and align your spine and take pressure off your knees and hips. Sadly, for me, it seems to have created or exacerbated soreness! Kind of a drag, because it was quite comfortable to fall asleep in that position, but the day times were sore times and that's not a sacrifice I'm willing to make.
Yeah, so good that I figured it out, but bad because I don't have a wicked sweet injury tale to tell! I hurt myself by sleeping too hard. Awesome. I think I'll just tell people that I injured myself in the bedroom (wink!).
-------------------------
To celebrate my newly pain-free ife, I trekked to Marathon Sports and got fitted for some new sneaks. I learned a lot from their sales associate (who looked just like Hermione), both general information and details specific to me and my tootsies.
- Running shoes should be replaced every 6 months or 300 miles, whichever comes first. Sneakers wear out from compression, which flattens the sole and kills any support that they provide to you.
- When you throw down for good running shoes, commit to only use them for running. Not for your commute, not for the gym, not for nothing besides running. All of these activities will shorten the life span of your sneakers, which you don't want to do when they cost $100 a pop! The sales associate explained that lifting weights is especially hard on sneakers, as it adds a lot more weight and compresses the soles even faster.
- Buy running shoes a full size up from whatever you typically wear. I don't remember why you are supposed to do this. Swelling, maybe. It took some getting used to, but my kicks are very comfy already!
- My feet are very flat, I overpronate, I run with my toes flopping out and I'm quite bowlegged. The sales associate determined this by
taking one look at my ostrich-inspired runperforming a comprehensive gait analysis. She watched me stand in stocking feet, walk and then test run the shoes. She put my in several pairs of sneakers with appropriate support, meaning they had a chunk of material on the inner arch to put Baby Spice's platforms to shame. Wonky feet, I have.
I took them for a spin yesterday. I was absolutely euphoric to be running again!
3.41 miles
00:28:13
08:18/mile
7.2 miles per hour
Welcome Back to Running
an upbeat playlist with a dramatic crescendo and peaceful ending
Arcade Fire, "Ready to Start"
Best Coast, "Boyfriend"
Girls, "Lust for Life"
St. Vincent, "Actor out of Work"
Passion Pit, "Sleepyhead"
Antoine Dodson, "Bed Intruder Song"
Arcade Fire, "My Body is a Cage"
Arcade Fire, "My Body is a Cage"
Lily Allen, "I Could Say"
Tycho, "Crystal Brake"
-------------------------
Thanks, Marathon Sports, for hooking me up with some great new kicks. And thanks, dino brain, for taking the pillow out from between my bowed knees!
Question of the Day: What are you doing today? I hope you have the day off. And I hope you have a very good day.

I did a run this morning too, and it was glorious! I'm so glad you're pain is gone! I absolutely love getting new shoes - and how interesting about not lifting weights in your good running shoes. I never even thought of that.
ReplyDeleteI'm having a normal day like any other. Moms don't get a break! Oh how I could use one though. LOL
ReplyDeleteHave a great rest of the day. And love the new shoes.:)