So, last night, I culminated 9 months of oatmeal grazing: I ate my way through one "silo" (you know, those round cardboard containers) of Quaker rolled oats and two giant dog food-sized bags of oats from Costco. Being the innovative Daughter of Dad that I am, I refilled the silo with the oats from the dog food-sized bags for easy dispensing. Yesterday morning, I tipped out the remainder of the oats into my measuring cup and called it a day. I was very proud.
Last night, I dragged Jake straight to the kitchen (the only place I ever drag him, unless there is a drain that needs de-clogging in the bathroom) to show off my empty oat container like a proud preschooler. "Look!" I cried, "I made it all the way to the end of Oat Mountain!" I offered him the empty silo as proof of my accomplishment. I knew there were a few stray oats down there, but lo, those oats were NOT ALONE. No, when we peered in the bottom of the container, it was writhing with meal worms.
Worms. Woooooooooooooooorms. WORMS!!!!!!!
Jake patted me on the shoulder in a there-there way while reminding me that "People ate way grosser things back in the old days". Then a stray white worm rounded the lip of the silo and crawled down the side and Jake shrieked like a little girl.
So much for obsessing over my morning bowls of oatmeal not containing enough protein.
---------------------------------
I will appease you, my undoubtedly now wretching readers, with a brief workout, my dinner and a teaser shot of a recipe I'll share soon.
1. Monday's Shaky Arm Workout: quite possibly the retroactive inspiration for this song.
- Pulls ups (4 reps x 10lbs assistance) (8 x 25)
- Push ups (until failure)
- Shoulder press (10 reps x 3 sets x 15 lbs)
- Tricep pulldown (8 x 2 x 30)
- Hammer curls (10 x 3 x 12.5)
- Dips (10 x 3)
- Lat pulldown (8 x 3 x 70)
2. Tonight's winner of a dinner: leftover curry chickpea quinoa under some sort of veggie burger beside a small salad of CSA lettuce, an heirloom tomater, balsamic vinegar and - please curtsy for class - a sliced string cheese. I actually ate the salad first and melted the cheese rounds (it sounds better that way) over the "burger". For dessert, I ate soynut butter and honey. My stomach kinda hurts, but my mouth is happy.
3. I made up a granola recipe (from a fresh container of oats, INTERNET). I keep sticking my head in the oven to catch a deep whiff of the pleasing granola aroma. We can only hope that how Sylvia Plath went out.
Question of the Day: Horror stories. In the kitchen. I wanna hear them!
ack! that's horrifying. don't worry... i found bugs in my museli once. after eating it, of course. the best part? i bought it again from the same place a few weeks later... and ate bugs again. :[
ReplyDeletei have a funny csa experience. i was so excited to get the first head of broccoli for the summer that i really needed to tear off a piece and chomp it. as i was chewing the first piece and bringing the second to my mouth i noticed A LIVE INCHWORM, just chillin', just chillin' on my broccoli. thank god it was csa broccoli, which i unconditionally love, or i would have been much much more upset.
ReplyDeletebut hey, atleast we know it was organic!