Saturday, September 4, 2010

How sweet.

It's a great day.  The heat has broken, the storm has passed and a gentle breeze is coming through the sun-streaked open windows of my kitchen.  Oh, and I just devoured this glorious Saturday morning breakfast.

Apple Pie a la Moatmeal*
a dessert-inspired oatmeal "sundae" for a special weekend morning 
This might sound like a complicated recipe, but it's really just a matter of throwing stuff in a bowl and nuking!  You probably already have all of the ingredients, too.


First, make the "pie".  Layer the following in a mug.
  • 1 apple, peeled and chopped
  • 1 sprinkle nutmeg
  • 1 shake cinnamon
  • 1 pinch turbinado (or any) sugar
Ok, so it's not an exact science.  I covered the bottom of the mug with apple, then sprinkled with 3 times as much cinnamon as nutmeg and topped with a small amount of sugar.  The idea is to get the apples relatively evenly seasoned.  Top with a teensy pinch of salt, then drizzle the apple-filled mug with 1 Tbsp of water and microwave until fork-tender, about 2 minutes.

Next, make the oatmeal.  Put the following in a big bowl:
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup soy (or any) milk
  • 1/2 cup water
Stir and microwave for about 2 minutes.  Remove from microwave and add:
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 Tbsp. nut butter (I used cinnamon sugar soynut, my favorite)
  • 2 Tbsp. raisins
  • 1 Tbsp. chia or flax seeds (optional)
Finally, flip the apple-filled mug atop your bowl of oatmeal.  Ooh and ahh.  Prepare yourself for the grand finale.  This is optional, but it's what makes it "a la mode" (kinda... it's like a sundae!).
  • Generous.  Drizzle.  CARAMEL!
I used caramel sauce that was leftover from Jake's birthday cake.  Yeah, his birthday was in May.  Self control: I have it.


Enjoyed with tea.  My brother gave me this mug.
I couldn't finish it, but that's what boyfriends are for!

"I thought it would be sweeter!"  *Glugs maple syrup on top*

Heavens to Betsy.


*I am on a quest to brainstorm the corniest recipe/workout names possible.  Don't threaten me with a good time!

1 comment:

  1. I love making apples and oatmeal into an apple pie...but I've never used caramel sauce. That just takes it to a whole new level!!

    ReplyDelete