Thursday, September 2, 2010

You're my sweetie pie.

Hey y'all, today I want to share a recipe that I invented last night by launching thangs into the frying pan and cooking it all up together.  I had just completed my brief upper-body set and wanted to feast on some protein to feed my muscles.  Couple that with my need for something that could be ready rather quickly and there was no doubt about it: the answer was (and usually is) EGGS.

Now, I'm not one of those egg-white-only eaters.  No, I gobble up the whole thing, yolk and all.  Sure, there is fat and cholesterol in the yellow, but since the bulk of my diet is plants, it balances out.  Quite nicely, in fact.

[sourcery]

I aim for 50 grams of protein per day, so a breakfast scramble of 4 whole eggs (24g) gets me halfway there like Bon Jovi!  Last night's meal, which also featured chicken sausage served up a whopping 45g protein.  The best part wasn't the protein content, though.  ... it was the maple syrup on top.

You heard me.



Split Personality Savory/Sweetie "Pie"

  • 1 sweet potato, spiralized, julienned or simply sliced thin
  • 4 links chicken sausage, removed from casing and crumbled
  • 1 tomato, diced
  • 5 eggs
  • 1 Tbsp. maple syrup (optional)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • a skillet that has stovetop to oven capabilities (read: won't melt! Mine is nonstick with a silicone handle, but a stainless steel or cast-iron model would also do)
Lightly spray a skillet with oil and place over medium low heat.  Throw in the sweet potato and saute until soft.  Add chicken sausage and tomato.  Cook until the sweet potato is lightly browned and the chicken sausage is warmed through.  Turn on the broiler.  Crack 5 eggs into the skillet and continue cooking until the bottom is set.  When the edges of the egg pull away from the pan, omelet style, slide the pan under the broiler.  Don't walk away!!!  The top should cook up in just a minute or two.  Remove from the oven and season with salt and pepper.  Drizzle with maple syrup (totally gratuitous), slice like a pizza and enjoy! 
Serves 2 very hungry beasts.  Reheats nicely for lunch.


I want it again. 

And on that note, I'm off to spoon my bottle of maple syrup and wait out this hurricane!

2 comments:

  1. Well, unfortunately I'm out on the chicken sausage;), but the eggs sound great!

    Hope the hurricane doesn't hit too hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woahh I've never used maple syrup on eggs. I need to try this but with veggie dogs!!

    ReplyDelete