Monday, September 27, 2010

Unforgivably Belated CSA Saturday, Episode XI

First of all, THANK YOU from the bottom of my blackened heart for your sweet words in response to my last post.  I couldn't fully decide if I wanted to post it, and even after I clicked publish I debated taking it down.  I'm glad I didn't, because my journey is a part of me.  Just like my ostrich legs and cute Vienna sausage toes.

I thought I'd lighten things up today with my aptly titled VERY LATE CSA post.  I was busy living life all weekend (I know!  A surprise to me, most of all) so I didn't get around to sharing my veggie shots in a timely manner.  Sadly, this is the penultimate CSA bounty and it was my last pickup, since I'll be in San Francisco (!!!!!!!!) this weekend.  The produce I have received each week has been among the tastiest I've ever had, and opening the box every Saturday was like a recurring, warm-weather Christmas for heathens.  Oh, CSA.  As if I needed another reason to yearn for the summer...

Please pardon my poor photography "skills".  This week, I experimented with flash (let the exhibitionist jokes roll in).

Tall broccoli (maybe rabe??) apples, pears (still the best), kohlrabi (I have no clue how to prepare this), radishes, tons of eggplant (a good thing, since I've been loving baba gannoush), kale, arugula, green pepper, bagged beans, delicata squash a couple of late season tomatoes.
I've already put several of the ingredients to good use:

  1. Salad topped with tuna, balanced precariously on a windowsill
Featuring arugula, spicy radishes, lemon and olive oil.
     2. Tonight's hodge-podge dinner - I LOVE the colors in this one

I blanched the broccoli and green beans for added texture and decreased bitterness.  Served with half a tomato, some carrot sticks (is there any better shape for carrots?!), 3 eggs and a slice of yummy sprouted grain toast.

     3. I finally put my pretty cranberry beans to good use!

Shucked.
Approximately 1 cup beanz + water to cover + GENEROUS pour of olive oil + lemon juice + sage, thyme, rosemary, oregano, salt, pepper.  Braised.  I'm not crazy for cooked beans, but these were good on my salad.  I kept the braising liquid for a sort of dressing.



And there you have it.  Just like that, a season ends!
Tonight is a popcorn night.  Yippeeeeeeee yeah

1 comment:

  1. Hey Rhea! Another Greek fem fetale blogger! Yay! I have some catching up to do... love your stuff!

    ReplyDelete