Wednesday, September 15, 2010
Like the wolf
Tonight: walking, resting, reading, practicing yoga, making dinner, listening to This American Life and bathing.
Most of the evening's activities have revolved around the kitchen.
What I made: Sweet Potato Puffs, Peanut Tofu and Roasted Broccoli. Fall colors!
I started by wrapping the tofu in a clean kitchen towel and pressing it beneath a heavy cookbook.
I prepared the sweet potatoes by slicing them into 1/2" rounds (we used to call them "coins", growing up) and rubbing with a mixture of coconut oil, pepper, salt and chili powder. My method? Scoop out a blob of coconut oil, coat my hands, then massage the potatoes; this keeps them from getting to slathered and greasy. The puffs got popped into a 350 degree oven and baked for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, I made a sauce for the tofu from (greatest --> least) peanut butter, almond milk, apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, honey, vegetable oil, chili oil and a smooshed garlic clove. This yielded about a half a cup of sauce, and I thinned with a splash of water. I sliced the tofu into 32 cubes and tossed them into the sauce bowl to coat.
I broke the broccoli into florets, sprayed them with olive oil and added them to the sweet potato pan. I carefully poured the tofu onto the remaining third of the pan and topped the cubes with sesame seeds and ground flax. Finally, I slid the pan back into the oven and cranked up the heat to 400 degrees.
And waited. And waited. For an agonizing 35 minutes.
The potatoes were incredible, the broccoli was crispily overcooked (but I ate it anyways! Eat your vegetables!) and the tofu was off the chains delicious.
What's for dessert?
Labels:
CSA,
eat your vegetables,
how-to,
recipe,
tofu
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
hi hi! I just stumbled upon your sweet little blog today and couldn't help but hit the follow button! I look forward to following your adventures in the future! xo kate
ReplyDeleteOh I love that marinade for the tofu. I'm going to have to try it sometimes soon. Sounds really good!
ReplyDelete@Kate, thank you so much for your kind words! I hope my future adventures are more THRILLING than what I've documented here thus far. If we're talking specifics, I hope I'll be reporting about a big lottery win soon. And a giant cardboard check delivered to my apartment by a shirtless Robert Pattinson.
ReplyDelete@Tina, the marinade is yummy and very easy. Just add everything to taste until it is soupy enough to coat the tofu! I recommend dredging the tofu in ground flax after marinating-- it gives a brilliant texture.
ohhhh fancy,
ReplyDeletei love your blog to pieces!
its just grand!
@lauren, thank you for making my day! I just peeped your art and I'm so impressed/jealous-- I've always harbored a not-so-secret wish to be able to draw!
ReplyDeleteI'll cook, you make art, and we can trade :D